Monday, September 24, 2018
Monday, September 24, 2018
- WN#5: Read "The Haunted" by Jack Prelutsky (Describe a place that is fine during the day but scary at night)
- Finish writing character vignettes
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
- Active/Passive Voice: Look at scary setting examples. When does the author use passive and active voice? In your writing notebook, write three active voice sentences; then, turn them into passive voice sentences.
- Scary Setting Vignettes
- Analyze Mentor Texts
- Decide on Two Product Goals
- Write about Scary Setting
Wednesday, September 26, 2018
- WN: Read Candy Corn on pg. 10 of Candy and Me by Hilary Liftin. Write about Your Favorite Candy and Memories Associated with It.
- 200 Pages of Reading Due Monday, 10/2--Reading Verification
- Continue Writing/Finish Scary Setting Vignettes
- Fast Finisher Assignment
Thursday, September 27, 2018
- Revise and Edit Scary Setting and Character Vignettes individually. For each vignette, make sure you have done the following:
- Written 1 full page
- Included 1 passive sentence
- Met, underlined and labeled your 2 product goals
- No blood or gore
- Focused on Picture Chosen
- Used correct spelling and grammar
- Improve setting and character vignette in partners
1. Read your partner's character and setting vignettes out loud. As you read, stop and discuss areas that need improvement, ask questions, etc.
2. Did your partner indent paragraphs, write complete sentences, capitalize, include product goals, write a title, and use the first line of the picture? If not, discuss suggestions for improvement.
3. Next, you will read your vignettes out loud and you will follow the steps again.
4. Once you are finished collaborating with your partner, rewrite your vignettes and make them better.
- Remember no one's writing is perfect. Everyone needs help improving. Be helpful, honest, and kind.
Friday, September 28, 2018
- Check Writing Notebook (2 Pages)
- Turn in Reading Verification
- Chromebooks--Type Scary Setting and Character Vignettes.
- Underline and label your product goals and passive sentences in your vignettes
- Go to utahcompose.com and login. The username is the 10-digit number I gave you in class. It begins with 000. It is not your lunch number, but the same number you use for SAGE testing. You should remember your password from last year. If you don't it is on the slip I gave you in class. If you need help, please see me.
Once you are logged in to Utah Compose, go to English. Then find the tab marked "Practice." From there, you should see "Scary Vignette" and you will click the button that says, "Begin Writing." Next time you login, your draft should show up on your "Writing History."